<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d15661511\x26blogName\x3dThe+Wann\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://thewann.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://thewann.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d5848265137786614361', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>
The Wann

TheWann formely known as the Airman in Iraq blog, since I am no longer in Iraq I decided to make this still for family and friends, with a wider stretch of thoughts for anyone else. 

Donate to the poor airman:
Sunday, September 11, 2005

7:38 PM - Forgiveness....


So today is Sunday and we had our services we went to of course. I help the Catholic Priest out even though I am not Catholic. I enjoy it because of the places and the ministry done seems greater. At least to me that is. Well today he spoke of forgiveness, and let me tell ya that speaks to me crazy mad like ya know? He was mainly speaking on 9-11 and forgiving all of that, not forgetting but forgiving. It was a darn good message! I thought I would go on a tangent and use a mix of his thoughts, my thoughts and some of the more in depth stuff I will talk about here is actually from a little book I picked up called "When Forgiveness seems impossible".
You forgive when you have been hurt. I know from my past it’s something surreal. Like it really isn't happening, some sort of real bad practical joke! You feel hurt, betrayed and then you are just over combed by anger. The pain is like you had been stabbed. You start to get that whole vengefulness side coming out. A person you trusted has stabbed you in the back and all that consumes you is that revenge! Of course forgiveness is the last thing you are thinking about.
Well what the crap is forgiveness? Forgetting? No more pain/anger? Let bygones be bygones? Letting 'em off the hook? Unfairness? Injustice? Many believe that forgiveness requires us to unconditionally release others from past wrongs. Others have the "I forgive you for my own sake" mentality and let me tell you I have had a ton of people tell me that. "Just let it go" they say. The prob with that attitude is it advocates forgiveness as a means of releasing ourselves from the cancer of bitterness and the fire of anger in many different ways, forgiveness is therefore seen as an unconditional offering of pardon that says, "No matter what you have done to me, I forgive you."
Think of a wife offering forgiveness to an unrepentant alcoholic husband who has privately beaten her and publicly humiliated her with his sexual affairs. Is such forgiveness the kind of love her husband needs? Is it in his best interest for her to release him from accountability for shameless violations of their marital vows? Well...what does Christ like love require? Sometimes love requires us to say, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do" - Luke 23-34. Sometimes its an again and a again kinda thing - Matthew 18:21-22.
The Greek word often translated "forgiveness" was used to indicate release from an office, marriage, obligation, debt, or punishment. In biblical terms forgiveness is "the loving, voluntary cancellation of a debt". In Luke Jesus talks about this "forgiving" of a debt where two guys owe this other guy money one of 'em owed a lot more than the other but this guy forgave both their debts and Jesus asks who will love the forgiver more? Simon says "..the one whom he forgave more." and Jesus said you are correct (basically me condensing it of course) So the more we are aware of how much we have been forgiven the more love we have for those who have forgiven us... right? Well what if they never become aware? I just don't know, that was something I wanted to throw in there.
But basically to hopefully sum all this up and hopefully you are still reading all of this...
To offended the cost of forgiveness is to relinquish the demand to seek revenge now, canceling the debt owed, and seeking the restoration of the repentant person.
The offender the cost of forgiveness is humble confession and repentance, refusal to hide what one did, taking ownership for what was done, accepting full responsibility for one's actions and the consequences of those actions, making restitution where possible, refusal to make excuses, and brokenness that plead for mercy and receives, grace with gratefulness.
That’s how the book put it and I loved the way it worded it so I threw it in. A verse to go with this that I just loved Gen. 50:20 "You meant evil against me; but God meant it for good" I just hate waiting that’s all LOL.
For a last word:
Imagine that you are given the choice to:
(A) torment for all eternity those who harmed you the most(the one that sexually abused you, and unfaithful spouse, the date rapist, drunk driver that killed your child, your abusive parent), or (B) see them brought to brokenness and to their knees before the God who has been so kind to you and I. The answer you choose will expose the direction of your heart, and sometimes its a hard decision although its not supposed to be. The obvious answer is just too obvious sometimes. "Let 'em burn!!" or not....

I mainly wrote this to preach to myself since the Chaplain went off on his little thing about forgiveness I decided to go off on my tangent. It helps me to stop and reflect for a second. There are times I hate what I just wrote, but I need it more and more sometimes and posting it on this will help me by getting it off my chest in a good way and possibly making others keep me in check when I get pissed off and let my mind wonder into the past... sorry it was so long but I will have other good stuff here tomorrow. Ya know, what’s been going on here and all of that rather than another novella.

Labels:


Blogger gnightgirl said...

Hey, just wandered across your blog, while lazily hitting the "next blog" button and waiting for sunday morning coffee to hit.

Interesting stuff, I'll keep tuning in, checking on ya! take care!  


Anonymous The Mom and The Dad said...

Hhmmmmm! Is this sunday, u.s. time or Iraq time?:) That's our radical preacher son!!! How about this: Shoot 'em all, let God sort them out! Just joking, Son. Keep the good thoughts going. Mom says,"The older you get, the easier it is to forgive. You might never forget, but you learn." also Mom says,"we're proud of you and we love you and stay safe." Since it's Sunday, I'll make a confession. I gave your blog addy out to our address list. RASPBERRY!!!!!!  


Post a Comment



Rate me on Eatonweb Portal Blog Directory
bad enh so so good excellent

© binarypunk 2005 - Powered for Blogger by Blogger Templates